Not all children behave as they should, in a society. Most of them take time to understand the socially acceptable behavior for different kind of situations. Parents play an important role out here in helping their child to explore the many dimensions of the unspoken rules of society.
What do children need?
They must listen to others, manage certain relationships and its conflicts, show some concern or empathy, respect others, share and learn to lose gracefully. A child needs to feel like a part of his/her family for doing such things. They need to feel secured too. Children need strength to cope with the setbacks, pressures and changes in life. For them to learn the different social skills, they must have some self-esteem, self-restraint, confidence.
How to help?
There are lots of ways, parents can help their child in achieving this. Some are:
- Parents must listen to their child- Without this exercise, it would be difficult to understand a child, specifically who is of a smaller age. They want to be heard with undivided attention. This will help in creating a positive relationship for the future.
- Valuing their decisions and ideas- Some parents have a habit to dismiss their child’s ideas. There is a tendency to judge that they are very small to have such conversations. Children are often underestimated in this forum. The lack of knowledge that many kids can be smarter and mature than their age is the problem itself. Even after listening to them, not much heed is given to their conversation. Hence, try and appreciate your child’s initiative to at least, come up with such thoughts. Be it good or bad, know that it is, but, a child’s mind which is talking to you.
- Involve them in your discussions- By involving your children in discussions, they will learn the ways to make decisions, understand how things happen, gain insights and most importantly, it will make him/her feel important. And who knows, your child might become a good conversation starter, debater or an analyst in the future because of these discussions!
- Draw boundaries and give reasons- Most parents forget to build boundaries of a child’s behavior, that too without giving reasons. This has chances of creating a pampered, annoying and a stubborn child, as you are always giving them what they want. Giving in works only in certain situations, not always. Therefore, make boundaries for some of their negative behavior and give them logical reasons. Otherwise they would not understand the meaning of boundaries and may repeat them later.
- Be a positive role model- All children learn some behaviors from their parents. This is why, how parents deal with situations, is important. You won’t even know how fast they pick certain actions. Parents should avoid negative actions in front of their child. Witnessing parents as being polite to someone rude, being chivalrous and see them lose with a smile, gives children great learning experience on their own behavior.
- Send them in a good school- Sudhir Memorial Institute Liluah is a promising school where your child would gain social skills by having great opportunity to interact and learn new skills. It is one of the best CBSE Schools in Howrah.
Making the children learn certain behaviors are not as easy task as it seems. There will be days even a well-behaved child will become off, upset or annoying. Use these simple tips to help benefit the child with a solid foundation for their bright future.